Saturday, March 2, 2019

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression


I have hopes of changing the world one child at a time.  If I can change more than one child at a time as an administrator and a person that trains early childhood teachers, then I will.  There is a song by Sanctus Real called "Confidence", I have shared some of the words below that keep me going because this work of quality early childhood education is tough and you can be discouraging at times.    

I’m not a warrior
I’m too afraid to lose
I feel unqualified for what you’re calling me to
But Lord with your strength
I’ve got no excuse
'Cause broken people are exactly who you use
So give me faith like Daniel in the lion’s den
Give me hope like Moses in the wilderness
Give me a heart like David, Lord be my defense
So I can face my giants with confidence

I pray each day for God to give me the strength, hope, heart, and most of all faith that this work is possible.  My goal is to keep making changes wherever I go and whenever I can.  With a new focus to work on equity verses, working on equality.  The image below is one reason separate but equal did not work. 




Thanks to all my colleagues and professor for making this journey of study in diversity, equity, and social justice a trusting and no judgement zone.  It has been supportive, eye opening and meaningful. 

Resource
  • SANCTUS REAL | CONFIDENCE - Official Music Video - YouTube



2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara,
    Your blog was AWESOME!!!!! it was so inspiring, it was just what I needed thank-you so very much. A lot of times some people don't realize that words go a long way and they mean so much.
    Thanks for the link to the song because I am getting ready to listen to it.
    I wish you much success in waterver career path you chose, you deserve nothing but the best, I am glad that we where colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barbara,
    I absolutely love your post. This is a challenging journey but the joy of the Lord is our strength and we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Stay encouraged and I have enjoyed this educational journey with you.

    ReplyDelete